Treatment of Toxic Mold Exposure
Treatment of Toxic Mold Exposure involves the assessment of the full extent of the exposure to toxic mold and its effect on the exposed individuals. Toxic mold exposure can have three general effects on an individual:
- Hypersensitivity- The allergic effect from repeated exposure to the mold spores or particles that are released into the environment. This reaction may be IgE (histamine) mediated or inflammatory causing problems such as pneumonitis.
- Infective – This includes mild to severe growth of the mold/fungus in the body, generally in the sinuses or lungs.
- Toxic – The toxic black molds produce chemicals that are airborne and toxic to the human body. They are absorbed by breathing the air that is contaminated and may stay in the body for an unknown length of time, possibly months.
Dr. Johnson and his staff have developed a treatment program for the Toxic Mold Exposed individual that addresses all three aspects of Toxic Mold Illness. Without the proper assessment for the allergic effect, mold infection and toxic reaction in each exposed individual, a complete treatment program cannot be instituted to obtain a maximum therapeutic result. The assessment may vary for each individual depending on their health status, but generally includes the following:
Immune status evaluation by blood work and allergy hypersensitivity.
Individual skin testing with preservative free antigens to avoid false positive reactions.
Blood antibody specific testing for the body’s immune response to the infection.
Direct cultures of the infective site.
Blood tests to detect genetic particles of the fungus that may be circulating in the blood stream.
- Urine evaluation for the toxin (mycotoxin) if present.
- Blood tests for the genetic ability of the exposed individual to metabolize the toxin.
Treatment plans for the individual that has Mold Related Illness are made as the information is received. Acutely ill individuals are started on immediate treatment based on both the symptoms and acute laboratory abnormalities. As the more detailed laboratory reports and cultures are obtained the immediate treatment plan is modified to best treat the mold affected individual. Treatment modalities are as follows:
Allergy immunotherapy desensitization.
Immune enhancement with nutrients and natural substances.
Medication when indicated to treat acute situations.
Antifungal medication, oral or intravenous.
Antifungal nutrients and natural substances.
- Nutrients to enhance the toxin metabolism both by the oral and intravenous route.
- Bile binders to hinder reabsorption of the toxic metabolites for the intestinal tract that the liver secrets in the body’s natural detoxification process.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy to enhance the body’s ability to mobilize and metabolize the mycotoxin (mold toxin) from the body’s cells and tissue.
Johnson Medical Associates believes that their comprehensive approach to the treatment of Toxic Mold Illness in the Mold Exposed Individual is one of the best in the country combined with their caring attitude for each patient.